- AHT, Autohemotherapy, oxygen therapy.
- Ozone molecules are composed of three oxygen atoms (O3). Ozone exists high in the earth’s atmosphere and absorbs solar radiation.
- Reports of using ozone for medicinal purposes date to the late 19th century. In modern times, ozone therapists have used different forms of ozone to treat a wide variety of conditions. There has been little scientific study of ozone.
These uses have been tested in humans or animals. Safety and effectiveness have not always been proven. Some of these conditions are potentially serious, and should be evaluated by a qualified healthcare provider.
Autohemotherapy (AHT) is a technique that withdraws blood from the body, mixes it with ozone gas, and then injects it back into the body through a vein or muscle. There is limited preliminary study of AHT in a small number of patients with history of a heart attack. A decrease in total cholesterol and low-density lipoproteins (“bad” cholesterol) was reported. However, this research was not well designed. Better information is necessary before a firm conclusion can be reached.
Laboratory studies have shown HIV virus to be sensitive to ozone, but no high-quality human studies exist. A preliminary study measured the safety and effectiveness of ozone-treated blood in the treatment of HIV infection and immune disease. Ozone therapy was not shown to enhance immune activation or diminish HIV virus.
*Key to grades:
The below uses are based on tradition, scientific theories, or limited research. They often have not been thoroughly tested in humans, and safety and effectiveness have not always been proven. Some of these conditions are potentially serious, and should be evaluated by a qualified healthcare provider. There may be other proposed uses that are not listed below.
Many complementary techniques are practiced by healthcare professionals with formal training, in accordance with the standards of national organizations. However, this is not universally the case, and adverse effects are possible. Due to limited research, in some cases only limited safety information is available.
- This information is based on a systematic review of scientific literature edited and peer-reviewed by contributors to the Natural Standard Research Collaboration ().
- Basabe E. Ozone therapy a favoring element in the rehabilitation of children with hearing loss. Proceedings, Twelfth World Congress of the International Ozone Association, Lille, France, 1995:275.
- Bocci VA. A reasonable approach for the treatment of HIV infection in the early phase with ozonotherapy (autohaemotherapy). How inflammatory cytokines may have a therapeutic rule. Mediat Inflammation 1994;3:315-321.
- Bocci V, Paulesu L. Studies on the biological effects of ozone 1. Induction of interferon gamma on human leucocytes. Haematologica 1990;75(6):510-515.
- Bocci V. Autohaemotherapy after treatment of blood with ozone. A reappraisal. J Int Med Res 1994;22(3):131-144.
- Bonetti M, Albertini F, Valdenassi L, et al. [Oxygen-ozone therapy in the treatment of lumbar disk-root compression]. Rivista Neuroradiologia 2001;14(Suppl 3):297-304.
- Carpendale MT, Griffiss J. Is there a role for medical ozone in the treatment of HIV and associated infections? [abstract]. Proceedings, Eleventh Ozone World Congress, San Francisco, CA, 1993.
- Carpendale MT, Freeberg JK. Ozone inactivates HIV at noncytotoxic concentrations. Antiviral Res 1991;16(3):281-292.
- Carpendale MT, Freeberg J, Griffiss JM. Does ozone alleviate AIDS diarrhea? J Clin Gastroenterol 1993;17(2):142-145.
- Colombo R, D’Angelo F, Vaghi M, et al. [Local treatment of chronic venous ulcers with ozone therapy]. Impegno Ospedaliero, Sezione Scientifica 2002;1-2(31):33.
- Coppola L, Verrazzo G, Giunta R, et al. Oxygen/ozone therapy and haemorheological parameters in peripheral chronic arterial occlusive disease. Thromb Arterioscler 1992;8:83-90.
- Dalla Volta G, Troianiello B, Griffini S, et al. [Telethermographic assessment of the efficacy of oxygen-ozone therapy in disc-root compression]. Rivista di Neuroradiologia 2001;14(Suppl 1):103-107.
- Di Mauro G, Matera D, Di Mauro A, et al. Oxygen-ozone therapy and amitriptyline in disc diseases and herniated intervertebral discs. Rivista di Neuroradiologia 2001;14(Suppl 1):93-95.
- Fabris G, Tommasini G, Petralia B, et al. [Intraforaminal oxygen-ozone therapy]. Rivista di Neuroradiologia 2001;14(1):61-66.
- Fillippi A. Ozone in oral surgery–current status and prospects. Proceedings, Twelfth World Congress of the International Ozone Association, Lille, France, 1995:169.
- Frankum B, Katelaris CH. Ozone therapy in AIDS–truly innocuous? Med J Aust 1993;159(7):493.
- Franzini M, Bignamini A, Micheletti P, et al. Subcutaneous oxygen-ozone therapy in indurative hypodermatitis and in localised lipodystrophies: a clinical study of efficacy and tolerability. Acta Toxicologica et Therapeutica 1993;14(4):273-288.
- Gabriel C, Blauhut B, Greul R, Schneeweis B, Roggendorf M. Transmission of hepatitis C by ozone enrichment of autologous blood. Lancet 1996;347(9000):541.
- Garber GE, Cameron DW, Hawley-Foss N, Greenway D, Shannon ME. The use of ozone-treated blood in the therapy of HIV infection and immune disease: a pilot study of safety and efficacy. AIDS 1991;5(8):981-984.
- Gjonovich A, Sattin GF, Girotto L, et al. [Resistant lumbar pain: oxygen-ozone therapy compared with other methods]. Rivista di Neuroradiologia 2001;14(Suppl 1):35-38.
- Gomez M. Ozone therapy in the functional recovery from diseases involving damage to central nervous system cells. Proceedings, Twelfth World Congress of the International Ozone Association, Lille, France, 1995:111.
- Hernandez F, Menendez S, Wong R. Decrease of blood cholesterol and stimulation of antioxidative response in cardiopathy patients treated with endovenous ozone therapy. Free Radic Biol Med 1995;19(1):115-119.
- Hooker MH, Gazzard BG. Ozone-treated blood in the treatment of HIV infection. AIDS 1992; 6(1):131.
- Hsu OK. Ozone may inactivate HIV by reducing p120-CD4 binding affinity, lysing the HIV lipid envelope, and oxidizing the HIV core. International Bio-oxidative Medicine Foundation’s 5th Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX, 1994.
- Kawalski H, Sondej J, Cierpiol-Tracz E. The use of ozonotherapy in the nose correction operations. Acta Chir Plast 1992;34(3):182-184.
- Kudriavtsev EP, Miroshin SI, Semenov SV, Snigorenko AS, Sidorovich IA. [Ozone therapy of diffuse peritonitis in the early postoperative period]. Khirurgiia (Mosk) 1997;(3):36-41.
- Marchetti D, La Monaca G. An unexpected death during oxygen-ozone therapy. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2000;21(2):144-147.
- Mayer C, Soyka M, Naber D. [Paranoid hallucinatory psychoses in an HIV infected patient on ozone therapy]. Nervenarzt 1991;62(3):194-197.
- McCabe E. Point of view: a case for ozone therapy. AIDS Patient Care Magazine 1992;6:6.
- Menendez O. Application of ozone therapy in children with humoral immunity deficiency. Proceedings, Ozone in Medicine–Twelfth World Congress of the International Ozone Association, Lille, France , 271. 1995. Lille, France.
- Menendez S. Application of ozonized oil in the treatment of infantile giardiasis. Proceedings, Twelfth World Congress of the International Ozone Association, Lille, France, 1995:297.
- Menendez S. Application of ozonized oil in the treatment of vulvovaginitis preliminary study. Proceedings, Twelfth World Congress of the International Ozone Association, Lille, France, 1995:283.
- Menendez S, Ferrer L, Perez Z. Ozone therapy and magneto therapy: new methods for the rehabilitation of patients with simple chronic glaucoma. Proceedings, Twelfth World Congress of the International Ozone Association, Lille, France, 1995:99.
- Ozmen V, Thomas WO, Healy JT, et al. Irrigation of the abdominal cavity in the treatment of experimentally induced microbial peritonitis: efficacy of ozonated saline. Am Surg 1993;59(5):297-303.
- Paulesu L, Luzzi E, Bocci V. Studies on the biological effects of ozone: 2. Induction of tumor necrosis factor (TNF-alpha) on human leucocytes. Lymphokine Cytokine Res 1991;10(5):409-412.
- Petralia B, Tommasini G, Lavaroni A, et al. [Back ache treated by ozone therapy]. Rivista di Neuroradiologia 2001;14(Suppl 1):71-73.
- Riva Sanseverino E. Knee-joint disorders treated by oxygen-ozone therapy. Europa Medicophysica 1989;25(3):163-170.
- Rodriguez Acosta M, Cespedes Valcarcel A, Tula Suarez L, et al. [Ozone therapy in the management of the optic neuritis epidemic. Benefits or risks]. Revista Cubana de Oftalmologia 1994;7(1/2):39-51.
- Romeo A, Cirillo F. [Kinesiatrics and oxygen-ozone therapy for lumbosacral disc-root compression]. Rivista Neuroradiologia 2001;14(Suppl 1):47-49.
- Romero VA, Blanco GR, Menendez CS, et al. [Arteriosclerosis obliterans and ozone therapy. Its administration by different routes]. Angiologia 1993;45(5):177-179.
- Romero VA, Menendez CS, Gomez MM, et al. [Ozone therapy in the advanced stages of arteriosclerosis obliterans]. Angiologia 1993; 45(4):146-148.
- Sanseverino ER. Intensive medical and physical treatment of osteoporosis with the aid of oxygen-ozone therapy. Europa Medicophysica 1988;24(4):199-196.
- Scarchilli A. [Three-year follow-up in the treatment of lumbar pain and sciatica with intradiscal ozone therapy]. Rivista Neuroradiologia 2001;14(1):39-41.
- Sroczynski J, Antoszewski Z, Matyszczyk B, et al. [Clinical assessment of treatment results for atherosclerotic ischemia of the lower extremities with intraarterial ozone injections]. Pol Tyg Lek 1992;47(42-43):964-966.
- Tabaracci G. [Ozone therapy by “classic” paraspinal intramuscular injection]. Rivista Neuroradiologia 2001;141(Suppl 1):67-70.
- Verrazzo G, Coppola L, Luongo C, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen, oxygen-ozone therapy, and rheologic parameters of blood in patients with peripheral occlusive arterial disease. Undersea Hyperb Med 1995;22(1):17-22.
- Wasser G. Additional therapy of cerebrovascular disorder (acute brain stroke) by ozone therapy. Proceedings, Twelfth World Congress of the International Ozone Association, Lille, France, 1995:91.
- Wells KH, Latino J, Gavalchin J, Poiesz BJ. Inactivation of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 by ozone in vitro. Blood 1991;78(7):1882-1890.
- Wolfstadter HD, Sacher J, Hopfenmuller W, et al. Retrospective benefit following individualized naturopathic therapy in HIV-patients at different stages [abstract]. Int Conf AIDS 1992;8(3):147.
- Wong R. Ozone therapy in ischemic cardiopathy. Proceedings, Twelfth World Congress of the International Ozone Association, Lille, France, 1995:73.
Natural Standard developed the above evidence-based information based on a thorough systematic review of the available scientific articles. For comprehensive information about alternative and complementary therapies on the professional level, go to . Selected references are listed below.